Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Rhondda Powling

Rhondda Powling

Rhondda Powling, Australia, Secondary Schools, K7-12 Education, Catholic Schools

As a teacher librarian in a Melbourne boy's secondary school I have a unique role, with a cross-curricular view as well as working, with teachers, in specific subject areas. I need to keep abreast of what is happening in a world wider than the sometimes narrow, educational secondary school. The Web world allows me to access so much information that can be useful for my own professional development as well as giving me tools and ideas to for student learning and teacher education.

I want our students to leave our school with, if not a love, than a healthy interest in learning. I would like to have a part in inspiring young people in their learning during their school years and, when they leave our school, they do so as well-rounded learners, confident that they have the tools to cope with, or problem-solve, anything that may come their way.

I try to support the teachers I work with, both in the classroom and as part of the curriculum team by sharing new ideas, tools, educational theories, etc. or creating tools they can use.

Rhondda's reflections
This blog was set up so I could/would make the time to reflect on what I have learnt about the web, about what is working with students, especially using Web2.0 tools. I also see the blogging world as one that everyone can share to create a collective knowledge far greater than if we were on our own.

Theme: technology, education, e-learning, research, digital media, 21st century learning, 21st century teaching, web2.0, school libraries, literature, books